Start your own Student Led Volunteering Project
We're giving you the chance to set up your own project, get it running, and we'll even give you some funding!
By running a volunteering project, you will be building important CV skills such as teamwork and leadership, as well as having a unique opportunity to gain insight into a specific area of work. You can tailor your project towards anything you care about, whether a personal interest, to support your academic work or to make a real difference in the community.
HUSU staff can support you in starting your project, but this will be yours to run alongside ideally a committee of volunteers to share the work load an amazing leadership opportunities.
To get started, read our guide here on how to start a new project. You can contact the Volunteers and Fundraising Co-ordinator at [email protected] or your President of Activities at [email protected] to arrange a meeting to talk about your plans.
You'll then need to:
- Fill out a project plan form which you can find in the Volunteering Folder here on the Resource Hub and then email it to [email protected].
- You'll then be contacted by our Volunteers & Fundraising Coordinator and President of Activities with the next steps to take if your application is successful.
- These next steps include essential HUSU training for your project such as the volunteering induction workshop and GDPR training which all committee leaders must complete.
- HUSU staff will help assess what other training or documentation you may need such as DBS checks, safeguarding training and first aid training.
- You'll also be required to complete a risk assessment of your activity with the support of an external organisation if you are working with one and a budget planner to see what funding you may need and keep track of spending.
- HUSU staff will help you liaise with any external organisations that you’d like to work with and understand what training and information you will need to volunteer with them.
- Once you have completed the above, we'll set you up on our HUSU website so that you can run your volunteer group and other students can see what you have to offer! You'll have access to all the benefits of being a ratified Student Led Volunteering Project with HUSU!
- Room Bookings/Stall Bookings
- Administration Support
- HUSU Funding and Fundraising Support
- Training Opportunities
- Employability Skills Log