Advice Centre FAQs

Posted 20 March 2020
FAQs from the Advice Centre

We understand that this might be a distressing time for our members and you may have a lot of questions.

Our Advice Centre advisers are now working remotely, but are answering calls from our general advice line 01482 466263 and also emails via [email protected]

Please get in touch if you have any concerns, but we hope the below FAQs may be able to answer some of your questions.


What about my student loan? Will I still receive a payment in April?

Student Finance England have confirmed that they will be processing the final loan instalments as planned. Applications for next year are also open.  For up-to-date information, follow them on Twitter.


What about my student house?

Please remember that your housing contracts are still legally binding, however, the government has released some guidance to support you and ensure you are not evicted. Read the article here.


I think I need an extension on my work - what do I do?

The University has recognised that the steps taken in light of the COVID-19 situation will have an impact on our students. For that reason, the University has changed some of its practices to be more flexible.

The guidance from their website is currently as follows:

Where possible you should submit your remaining assessments by the deadlines that have been communicated to you through your module canvas sites. Where it has been necessary, new or revised assessment deadlines will be published on your module canvas sites.

If you are unable to submit by the deadline on Canvas, there will be an automatic extension of 14 calendar days. You can submit at any time during this 14-day period and late penalties will not be applied. You do not need to apply for this extension, it will be applied automatically.

If you are still unable to submit the assessment by the extended deadline, you will automatically be granted ‘mitigating circumstances’ which means that you will be contacted and given another opportunity to be assessed at a later date without a late submission penalty. If possible, in terms of our formal exam boards, you could be granted a further extension, but that may not be possible in all cases. You do not need to apply for mitigating circumstances, they will be applied automatically.

If you are a final year student and are expecting to graduate in July, where possible we will put in place further opportunities for submission of your work within a timescale that will allow you to graduate. In this situation, we will contact you about this.

To reiterate, please do try to meet published deadlines if you are well and able to do so. This will help you to manage your workload and help your tutors to manage theirs.

Stay up to date with university advice here.


I am a lone parent or a disabled student and I have concerns with Universal Credit - can you help?

For lone parents and disabled students in receipt of  PIP (Personal Independence Payments) who might have any concerns relating to claiming Universal Credit, our Advisers are working remotely and can complete any calculations that you may need. Please contact us using the contact details above.


I am struggling financially - what can I do?

For any students struggling financially, you can still apply to the Hardship Support Fund, via MyHull Portal as the team are also working remotely and still assessing applications. For immediate needs, there is a local food bank you can contact: Beanie Street food bank, 01482 224783 or email them: [email protected]

We recognise this is a tough time for everyone so if you have any concerns or queries about COVID-19, please contact the University’s Action Line on 01482 464020 or [email protected], or visit the University of Hull’s website.

Article Categories