President of Inclusivity and Diversity 20/21 Wins: Overview
Posted 16 June 2021President of Inclusivity and Diversity, Evie, summarises her work for 2020-2021.
President of Inclusivity and Diversity, Evie, summarises her work for 2020-2021.
WHAT HAVE I DONE THIS YEAR?
In early March 2020, I was elected as President of Inclusivity and Diversity based on manifesto. As you can imagine, I’ve tried my best to carry out my manifesto, and also represent you on other projects and issues that you raised throughout this difficult year.
Here are the highlights and main wins and achievements from this year. Thank you to all students, Student President team members, Union and University staff and anyone else who helped me achieve this.
I have another, more detailed blog to come, which explains some of my projects in depth and their progress.
This Ends Now
- Consent training will be available to all students via MyJourney!
University Sexual Violence Group
- Set up group with University about support for survivors and improving process of reporting. Find out more here
Reporting sexual assault
- The university website will be changed so that there is more support and it is easier to know the process when reporting sexual assault.
Reclaim the Night
- Held several reclaim the nights, both virtual and in person!
Black Asian and Minority Ethnicity Mental Health
- Produced the Black Asian and Minority Ethnicity mental health report, thanks to consultation with students. This can be found here
LGBT+ Mental health
- Produced the LGBT+ mental health report, thanks to consultation with students. Find out more here
Decolonising the curriculum
- Passed a motion (click here) to ensure that HUSU President team have to continue to lobby and monitor the University’s progress of decolonising the curriculum. This is also now an official part of both the President of Education and President of Inclusivity and Diversity’s role.
Information for disabled students
- The university is currently updating their website so it has more information about support and the local community for disabled students.
Closed Captions and Image Descriptions
- Closed captions and image descriptions are now expected to be a standard part of University and Union practice across all visual and audio content. Click here for the closed captions motion. Click for the Image Descriptions motion click here
Black students’ awarding gap
- Consulted with students and contributed to report with recommendations on reducing the black students’ awarding gap.
Library Opening hours
- Extended library opening hours to midnight.
- As of September 2021, you will be able to request to have a ‘preferred name’ if you choose to use a name different to your legal name in a University setting. More info here