On Monday evening an extra meeting of Union Council was held – our first hosted entirely online, on Canvas!
Moving the meeting to a digital space didn’t cause too many teething problems and your Part-Time Officers were able to discuss and debate a number of issues. Here’s a summary of what happened:
Following an overview from the President team on the work they are doing to represent and support students at this time, the following decisions were made:
- A change of brand name from ‘Hull University Union’ to ‘Hull University Students’ Union’, putting students at the heart of our name. Our legal name does not change.
- Changing the Governance Zone to be called the Union Development Zone, to better reflect the focus and breadth of work that is done by this zone, and be more forward and future-facing on campaigns and projects rather than just governance
- Accountability of Presidents and Part-Time Officers to continue to take place in zone meetings and Union Council on a permanent rather than temporary basis
- Standing Orders for RAG, LINKS, JAM Radio, Hullfire and Torch TV have been revoked, leading to these groups having greater autonomy on how they are run from now on.
- The breastfeeding policy has been revoked, in reflection of the fact that the capital building works referenced in the policy are no longer taking place, and by law a space must be provided for breastfeeding when requested therefore a specific policy is not needed.
The last Union Council meeting of the year will take place on the evening of Monday 20th April. The deadline for papers for this is 12 noon on Wednesday 8th April.
Whilst it is just Part-Time Officers who can vote on motions, all students are welcome to present motions, attend as observers, or to engage in discussion and debate.
If you’d like to join us at the next meeting, please email [email protected] before 5pm on 20th April so that you can be invited along!