- Organisation Name
- Maritime Hull: The Project
- Title of role
- Walking Tour Guide
- Number of volunteer places available
Are you interested in the maritime history of Hull and excited about the tourism opportunities this presents?
Would you like to be involved in sharing Hull’s heritage with a wide range of people?
Do you have excellent communication and interpersonal skills?
Would you like to gain experience and accredited training as a tour guide?
We are looking for students to join a new team of 20 volunteers who will prepare and deliver guided tours between the Hull: Yorkshire’s Maritime City sites. These include the Hull Maritime Museum, The Arctic Corsair at the North End Shipyard and the Spurn Lightship in Hull Marina
Hull City Centre.
- What kind of support/supervision will you receive?
Full training to the Institute of Tourist Guiding level 2 (White Badge) accreditation will be provided.
- Personal qualities and requirements
We’re looking for people who have:
- An interest in the maritime history of Hull and in the local tourism offer.
- Confident communication and interpersonal skills.
- An ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Experience of working with the public.
- Work-ready skills you will learn or develop
This is an exciting opportunity to play a key role in developing Hull’s tourism offer related to the city’s maritime heritage, as part of a major National Lottery Heritage Funded project. Participants will develop their confidence and public speaking skills as well as gaining valuable experience and accredited training.
You will need to commit to around 40 hours of training, including lectures, practical sessions and communications training. This is likely to take place primarily on Wednesday afternoons between April and October 2020, with a summer break. On completion of the training, you will carry out guided tours for members of the public to a schedule we develop with you.
Not available for the full training?
From summer 2020 we will also be looking for volunteers to deliver the tours that have been created by the initial 20 volunteers. There will be initial training and a wide choice of shifts at times that suit you.
- Additional Info
- If you’d like to find out more about these opportunities, visit the Hull Museums stall at the Volunteering Fair on Tuesday 11 February in Student Central.
- You can find out more about the Hull: Yorkshire’s Maritime City project at https://maritimehull.co.uk/.
- To register your interest, please email [email protected] with a subject heading of Guided Tours.
Please state that you found this opportunity on the Hull Uni Union website. For more info, please email Angie [email protected]
- Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) required